Columbus iPads: Technology debate continues

At Christopher Columbus High School, the iPad is an essential part of student life. It is used for such necessities as work in the classroom, homework, and communication with teachers. However, there are some that would beg to differ with the use of iPads, and believe that iPads are not necessary. They believe that the use of iPads is more of a distraction than a learning aid to students. So, the question that must be asked is whether iPads help the students in their school work, or take students off task.

The iPad is undoubtably a versatile tool that can very well be used for learning. It makes work and interaction with students and teachers alike much faster and more efficient. There is a majority of students that believe that students should be using iPads for school. According to a survey conducted for Christopher Columbus High School, 86.4% of students prefer to use iPads, while the remaining 13.6% do not. However, despite the majority, there are still many who are not as particularly content with the use of iPads.

Many members of the Christopher Columbus High School faculty make up the minority that does not prefer the use of iPads. They believe that they are distractions to the students, and furthermore, removed most of the games on the App Store from our accessibility. This is an understandable course of action, considering that the iPad is a gateway to hundreds of different different games and social media. However, although students are prone to being distracted by their iPads, it should be the responsibility of the student to keep himself on task, not the task of the faculty, because students should be mature and responsible enough to do so by high school.

Overall, students deserve the ability to choose what they do and do not have on their iPads. The faculty’s removal of student accessibility to games is not the best course of action to be taken for keeping students on task in their classes. While some sort of regulation over what students are doing in the classroom, like Apple Classroom, should be in place, students should be responsible for what they do on their iPads in class, whether it leads to their success or failure.

With contributions by: Steven Lee, Joseph de la Viesca

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *